I travel the world and am truly amazed with the sights, cultures, and people but in my eyes there is no place like home.

Pages

22 December 2010

Cinnamon Salt Dough Ornaments


I remember making salt dough ornaments as a child – well vaguely I remember had to confirm with my mom! So when I saw a great post about the ornaments on Fly Through our Window the other day I figured what a fun idea. So I gathered together supplies.

I was able to use my bread hook attachment for my favorite pink kitchen-aide (first time!)

And put my pretty marble rolling pin to good use.

I ended up buying a random sack of cookie cutters for a $1 at the grocery store as realized I didn’t have any. Ooops.


But they worked out great and the ornaments turned out exactly how I was hoping.

I am using most of mine as gift tags. Figure for once I could be creative with my wrapping. And they smell delicious!


Here is the recipe I used in case you want to try this at home. It really was pretty simple:

Salt Dough Ornaments
3 cups flour
1 cup cinnamon
1 cup nutmeg
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups of warm water

Preheat oven to 200. Yields 30 to 40 small/medium size ornaments.
Wisk together flour, spices, and salt in mixing bowl {stand mixer if you have one} until well incorporated. Add bread hook* and gradually add warm water until dough ball collects. Using half of the dough at once, roll out on a floured surface until flat and very even {they do not rise at all so try get the rolled out dough as even as you can}. Using your favorite cookie cutters {dipped in flour} cut out shapes. The dough is fairly dense/heavy so a small to medium cutter is probably best. Using a straw add a “hole” at the top of each ornament so it can hang. Transfer to cookie sheets {I lined with parchment, I don’t think you have to though} and bake at 200° for 2 hours, turn off oven and let sit for another hour. Remove from oven and place on cooling racks. Using a basting brush dust off excess flour. Now you can paint your ornaments if desired or not. Finish them by spraying them with a clear polyurethane {outside or in a well-ventilated garage} or a glossy Mod Podge, or if desired, you can leave them all natural like I did!

*If you don’t have a stand mixer you can mix by hand and knead until the dough is well incorporated and all pulled together in a dough ball.

Thanks Darby for the idea! I say this like we are friends - when really I have never met her just stalk her blog and precious children.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

My kids have made those many times....I love the way they smell. They always made ornaments, but I think gift tags are a perfect idea!

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC