I travel the world and am truly amazed with the sights, cultures, and people but in my eyes there is no place like home.

Pages

11 May 2012

2012 Lincoln Half Marathon


This is the third or fourth time I have ran the Lincoln Half Marathon and it really is a great run. Tons of crowd support, decent scenery, and best of all the greatest group of running partners ever.
All that said I just wasn’t into this race. I had just ran the CB Half/The Gambler two weeks prior and wasn’t physically or mentally ready. I felt like skipping. Waking up to super stormy weather had me questioning my sanity even more. Somehow I did drag myself to the start line and ran.
Our fun running shirts = much cuter on the fast skinny girls
Sadly it was my slowest half marathon ever and I am not proud of my time. I am proud that I ran regardless of my attitude and that I finished without walking at all. My sister was running the full and realized right before the start her Garmin was almost dead so we switched Garmin’s. My time was decent enough the first 10k of the race, but once the Garmin died it was just the excuse I needed to run a comfortable and enjoyable pace and finish the race without killing myself. I no longer had any clue how fast I was running (how did we do this prior to technology??) and didn't really care.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise as several of my running partners ended up quite sick after this race due to the crazy humidity that blanketed us during the race. One even needed several bags of fluids via IV! Scary. My turtle pace meant I felt great at the end. My time is embarrassing but I’ll put it on here anyway as a reminder to myself that I need to train harder after this. Overall finish time was 2:23:51 (a very pokey 10:59 average pace). Splits were 5k: 30:59 , 10K: 1:03:22, 15k: 1:39:07 (where it started to go downhill). One more race in the books – now it’s time for fun runs all summer.

2 comments:

Kimberley said...

I really don't think you have anything to be ashamed about! I think it is fantastic that you run in these marathons, even half ones are a LONG way in my books!! Good on you :)

Mike said...

Ha! I remember seeing one of you in your shirts because I almost commented on your "behind," but then I figured that wasn't appropriate for a serious event like this.

I didn't get sick from the heat, but I definitely struggled with it (I'm from Minnesota and am used to running in the early morning cold, so uppers 70s and humid was really hard).

My recap is <a href="http://therunningdaddy.blogspot.com/2012/05/2012-lincoln-marathon-race-recap.html>here</a>

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC