I travel the world and am truly amazed with the sights, cultures, and people but in my eyes there is no place like home.

Pages

28 April 2014

Gambler 2014 Race Report

 
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us," Hebrews 12:1

 
To say the weather was miserable is an understatement. Worst weather of any race. It started off raining pretty solid (I actually contemplated not leaving the jeep and driving home) and continued to rain essentially all 13.1 amazing miles. There was a slight tease for about a mile where the rain gave me a break. Only to have the skies open up and quickly turn into a torrential downpour with thunder and lightening the last 4 miles. Sweet.


I was VERY under trained for this race and knew it would be bad. I had one long run for a whopping 9 miles. The rest of my runs where anywhere from a mile to maybe 5 on a good day. Too much travel, too much work, too much fun, not enough running. Somehow I trudged through the puddles/lakes and managed to not walk and finish with an ok time all things considered.
 
Overall time was  2:24:290, so an average of  11:02 a mile. 32/39 for age group, way to close to the end of the pack for my liking. My slowest ever but I’ll take it.  I can use this time  as motivation to actually train for the next race. I did motivate myself by purchasing a cute new Lululemon running outfit. I really should buy stock in that company!


I  recovered with a beer, a long hot bath , and my first try at compression sleeves.


I can't say thank you enough to all of the volunteers who stood in the rain to hand out  water and the CB police officers  who kept us safe - you all make this race my favorite every year even in miserable weather. Your high fives, huge, and words of encouragement keep me going. Thank you!!!

No comments:

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC