I travel the world and am truly amazed with the sights, cultures, and people but in my eyes there is no place like home.

Pages

13 September 2011

The House that Built Me


When is a home in such a state of disrepair and neglect that the best course of action is a tear down/burn??

*My bedroom window is on the left above.

How do you tear down and burn up memories? I didn’t think I was sentimental about houses (I was more than happy to leave my first childhood home years ago!) but for some reason this stinking cabin has me torn. So many memories were made here, so much growing up done, time spent with immediate family, grandparents, great grandparents, uncles, and friends.


Part of me keeps thinking raise it up, fix the roof, the siding, the windows, the interior, and the list goes on and on….But then the practical side kicks in and I realize could probably build a new much nicer cabin for cheaper.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

I say salvage as much of the wood as you can..including windows, doors, siding, floor...everything! You can make tables and picture frames with the random wood. You can even use the original doors in a NEW cabin so that it has all of the charm of the old. You can reuse the wood flooring (if it has it), hang the window panes up like art. Reuse the same screened door.

If you renovate it, chances are you'd lose a lot of the original elements in the first place...if you salvage those and reuse them, you can still see them to bring back those memories.

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC